Undernet #Beginner Channel Forum
July 27, 2014, 09:12:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Paranoid? Maybe you should be! Test your firewall here:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unable to connect to server  (Read 20561 times)
Phantom
« on: March 17, 2008, 09:27:46 AM »

"Unable to connect to server (Software caused connection abort)"

This is the message that keeps poping up everytime I try to connect to a server. Is my virus protection blockung the program? If so, how do I stop it? Is there another reason why it is giving me this message?

If it is my virus protection software that's doing this, I'd like to know exactly what to do before I go fiddling around with it.

Edit: I also do not have a static IP address and I'm doing this on my laptop.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 11:50:25 AM by Phantom » Logged
mzrd700
Lurker

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 01:10:07 PM »

Is it always at the connection level or later it happens to disconnect you while you're already connected to the server ?

This error may be result of many things - happens to me too usually after some idle time, but this is other case than yours i suppose...

I can suggest that you may try to connect to other servers within the network, and/or use other ports (within range) than default 6667 for connection. You can do this by a command /server severname:portnumber - for example :
/server ede.nl.eu.undernet.org:6669

Also it may have something do do with your host/router communication if you have one... So in the end you can update firmware for your router or at least restart it if above notes won't help.

It's recommended to check your software firewall settings too, as the port range for IRC servers may be blocked in there...

That's all i could think about for now - maybe later someone will have any other ideas Smiley

« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 01:31:53 PM by mzrd700 » Logged
gastly
#Beginner operator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 06:23:27 AM »

Hi Phantom  Smiley

The message 'Unable to connect to server (Software caused connection abort)' comes up when the connection closes unexpectedly. This is due to your Windows settings that may be preventing you to access IRC servers. Like mzrd700 said you could try connecting to some other ports other than 6667 (if the server has 'em open) or maybe its your ISP that's blocking IRC access. So ask your ISP.
You can also try disabling your firewall for some time and then try connecting to the server.

Well, this would sound a bit too much but try to scan your system for viruses or spyware (You never know...they can be a problem sometimes  Grin )

Good luck Smiley

Well...ya know I AM DA CHAMP!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: