Undernet #Beginner Channel Forum
April 21, 2014, 12:04:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: mIRC 6.35 released! Get this popular windows IRC client today! 

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: find location  (Read 20507 times)
blazinwater
« on: December 17, 2006, 09:47:35 PM »

with the ip adress on the whois list,is there any way that the location of the specific person can be found??
 Huh Huh Huh
papajohn
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 08:19:05 AM »

Provided that is their actual IP, you can use some internet resources to look them up and get an idea where they are located.

APNIC (Asia Pacific region)

ARIN (North America, a portion of the Caribbean and sub-Saharan Africa)

LACNIC (Latin American and Caribbean region)

RIPE (Europe, the Middle East and parts of Africa and Asia)

Google these to find the addresses, one of those should pull up the ip location.

Nothing says "Obey me" like a bloody head on a fencepost.  -Stewie Griffin-
blazinwater
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 06:37:53 PM »

thanx a bunch for dat papa.....
have another one...
it's not regarding irc...jus askin in case u noe.. Grin

is it possible to obtain the ip add from msn messanger....
is there any other possible way to detect from where the end user are online from....

Tongue looked up for the ans you gave,was good.....
how eva i have another site..u might wana look it up
ip-adress.com
u have satelite view... Wink
papajohn
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 06:48:50 PM »

No way I know of to get an IP address from another user on MSN messenger, sorry.

shw
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 09:39:33 PM »

Just to throw my two cents in, here is a little gem that I like to use.
It will open a java window inside your browser, and it is best if you are on dsl or broadband: http://visualiptrace.visualware.com/

you may have to register with the site, but that is free. 
Be aware that most Ip's nowdays are masked either thru the carrier or a firewall or a combination of things.
It is very rare, (unless you are fbi or cia), that you are going to trace to someones home. As close as you will get will be the ip hub that owns the address.

blazinwater
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 10:24:49 PM »

is there any other way the end user is able to get the ip address other than the whois list?

and in my understanding if the +s or +p command is used so that identity of the end user remains private...
does that mean, the ip adress is not viewable  Undecided
if it's not viewable,is there a work around to view the ip address  Undecided

thanx
papajohn
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 05:02:01 AM »

not unless you are an ircop on the network in question. Even then, if they are masked in some form outside that network, probably not.

shw
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 07:58:55 PM »

Also, another thing to remeber is that some user's use a cafe or some other type of hotspot for thier connection.
If you are a server op, or "ircop" , you probably have the proper authority to uncover a masked IP running thru the servers, but other than that, you won't be able to resolve an ident.
And what about AOL users? Have you seen the AOL ip mess? Geesh...anyway, if you do get an addy off of an AOL ident, all's it will do is point you to the AOL main and give you some generic contact info.
ANyway, good luck in the IP hunt.
blazinwater
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2006, 03:17:06 PM »

hey shw....
u mentioned in one of your relpy that
if the end user is on a masked ip addy...it's difficult to get the exact location
"unless fbi or cia"..??
wit all do respect...wat do they have..that we don't?
in other words if you happen to know..wat application/website they are using..how they are utilizing it
care to share pls 
any idea dude ??

thanxx in advance...
papajohn
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2006, 04:16:03 PM »

If they tell you, then they have to kill you. Choose Life!

shw
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2006, 06:14:56 PM »

Ok, a question asked......
I guess the most basic way to think about it is security.
While no single organization, U.S. or otherwise has the corner market on being totaly secure,
they do put forth the effort.
So, the "net" seems to be this mysterious form of communication that everyone has a theory about,
but the truth is much simpler.
I always look at the network like a spiders web.
The first thing a spider does in its' construction is to anchor a few main lines. Think of these as the "backbone".
Next, our little friend ties the backbones together, linking them with a series of shorter lines, each one tieing into a backbone line
at each end. You can think of the tie-in points as switches, or "hubs".
Now believe it or not, or little 8 legged wonder knows where each hub is. This is in case repair work is required.
Also, the vibrations that the spider feels are carried thru the "backbone" lines and resonate thu-out the web.
Ok, enuf of the bug lesson. Basicaly, if you had the man-power, knowledge, and authority, you could tap directly into a backbone line and see what is resonating from all the other hubs.
Thats what they have, the knowledge, man-power, and authority. Of course, each country has it's own version of this little team, but you get the basic idea.
Because of basic security issues, being able to trace someones precise location via a web connection is usually reserved for those type of teams. If it were possible for everyone to do it, keeping world learders secure would take on a whole new meaning.
At our level, (and I say our level in the broadest sense), we can usualy trace an IP and get a general location of country and township, but remeber, the location you are seeing is where the "swithch" or hub is that the IP is being carried from, and NOT a street address of the user. With proper aplication of this information, you are able to report abuses however. Most networks have an abuse contact listed. Just log all the info pertaining to the abuser, what the abuse was, and all the trace steps you recorded and most request that to be emailed to the abuse reporting address.
Well, how is that for an answer? Too long? If so, stick with Papajohns reply  Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
papajohn
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2006, 08:56:37 PM »

the real secret squirell stuff doesn't use the commercial / public internet.  They gots their own stuffs :p

rise79
#Beginner Voice Team

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2006, 01:47:13 AM »

i know here, they do at least.
its like VPN net.
own servers, the lot.
and lots of webserfing restrictions. if any at all.
all depends where and who you are here .

"but what is the question! The Ultimate Question, of Life, The Universe.... And Everything?"
shw
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2006, 10:01:47 PM »

Ahhh yes...the famous "VIP" network.  Presidents, kings, statesmen, really rich people, I wonder if they have valet parking for thier laptops?  Grin Grin Grin Grin
Agent^K
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2007, 07:44:33 AM »

try here , it even shows a mini map with the location where the ip is located Wink

http://whatismyipaddress.com/staticpages/index.php/lookup-ip

Jerry
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: